How Often Should You Replace Vinyl Siding?
This article was originally posted on: https://www.milwaukeesidingcontractors.com/how-often-should-you-replace-vinyl-siding
When should you replace your vinyl siding?
Our house is the place where we spend most of our lives, it is like a comfort zone where we often recharge for the next busy day. As much as possible we try to make it a safe zone for everyone, especially our family. But most of the homeowners do not know if when is the right time to replace their vinyl siding.
Siding replacement is important not just because it adds beauty to the house exterior, but because it protects us from unpredictable weather such as strong wind, snow, and rain. And not to mention that it is one of the great materials used to insulate the whole house during the winter season. That is why we should never try to just wait for it to crack and give up its responsibility in protecting us who is living inside the house.
What is vinyl siding? Vinyl siding is a plastic type of material used as home exterior cladding to improve the house's appearance, provide weather resistance, and thermal insulation. It is also used as home exterior decoration because it has different beautiful colors and it can also imitate a wood clapboard if you prefer that. It became popular because it is less expensive, easy to install, does not need to be painted, and is easy to maintain.
What are the different types of siding and their lifespan?
- Vinyl Siding - Vinyl siding is considered the most popular one for exterior home cladding because it is low-cost, versatile, and can mimic the look of wood. It can last for about 30-60 years but can be extended to 100 years if you know how to properly maintain its condition just like hand-washing it every year to take out all the dirt.
- Wood Siding - Wood siding is known to be one of the most attractive siding options to homeowners. It gives an authentic and luxurious appearance. You won’t worry about the exterior color combination because you can easily change its color by repainting it. This natural material can last for about 20-40 years and can extend if you will paint it every two years and provide proper maintenance.
- Fiber Cement Siding - Fiber Cement Siding is a durable and maintenance-free type of siding. It does not affected by fire or heat which is considered the safest one. It might be expensive but you will enjoy this investment for about 100 years without worrying about any issues.
- Metal Siding: Aluminum and Steel - Aluminum and Steel siding are both durable and affordable. It might be the best bet but it can be noisy during hail and rain storms which is the downside of it. This type of siding can last for about 20-40 years.
Factors to consider in replacing your vinyl siding
- Vinyl siding’s lifespan
- Vinyl siding is worn out, broken, faded, or has missing pieces
- Vinyl siding is leaked and moist